What type of magazine is ROOM?
Room: A Sketchbook for Analytic Action is an interdisciplinary magazine that was conceived as an agent of community building and transformation. Room’s innovative and accessible forum is an intersection of psychoanalysis, politics, and culture. Bringing different perspectives to bear on the complex problems facing us, Room invites greater familiarity with psychoanalysis as an important lens for personal, cultural, and political discourse.
ROOM looks for writing that is in touch with both the mind and the world. We value works of honest inquiry that show us the person alive inside of the poetic voice. We are particularly interested in submissions that negotiate the tension between the political and the personal self. We invite psychoanalysts and therapists as well as writers and poets outside of psychoanalysis to submit.
ROOM publishes 3 issues per year in February, June, and October. The magazine is free and is delivered in 3 formats: a digital PDF for download, a Website conceived as an archive, and a printed version on demand.
How does the selection process work?
Just as each analytic session adapts to wherever the patient and analyst are at the present moment, ROOM is a dynamic media space that adapts to the present in every issue. In this way ROOM’s submission process is similar to free association: we have no set agendas, themes or plans. Contributors respond to each other and to the outside world. As in the analytic process, the editorial board encourages submissions of lesser-heard voices while providing space for stronger more established voices to be heard in new interdisciplinary contexts.
- Essays in any language* | Max. 1,500 words
- Creative Writing and Memoir | Written in English | Max. 2,000 words
- Poetry | Formats: Written, audio, video, and/or mixed media
- Community Projects
- Artists and Photographers are curated by invitation only.
(*) Text in languages other than English are accepted and will be translated by ROOM's translators working by hand with the author whenever possible.
- ROOM is open to all.
- The text must be in an editable Word document. PDF is not accepted.
- The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
- Only one entry per author permitted.
- Authors can enter individually and writing team texts.
- The text entered must be unpublished.
- The text submitted must be original, and entirely the author’s own work.
By submitting your work to ROOM Magazine, the entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the text/image/video/audio or any other shortlisted text/image will be published free of any fees or royalty payments within any of ROOM channels or platforms: website, print, PDF, social media or any other media used by ROOM as a vehicle to reach their readers.
Remember to check ROOM social media accounts for news and updates: